You have DIY hair removal options – shaving, waxing, depilatories, even at-home laser hair removal devices. But is all the hassle worth it for short-term results?
Not really. Save your time, money, and skin with the best painless laser hair removal for Black skin in Alexandria. Don’t think it’s possible? Think again!
Let’s Get Right to Safety – Is Laser Hair Removal Safe for Black Skin?
You’re probably aware that there was a time when laser hair removal, or LHR, was not safe for all skin types, especially dark skin. Thankfully, times have changed and technology has come such a long way. The key is choosing a provider who uses the right technology.
What Laser Hair Removal Technology Is Best for Black Skin?
Old lasers were unable to differentiate between dark skin and dark hair, which led to skin damage. There are two lasers that are suitable for dark skin – diode and Nd:YAG.
Diode laser energy pulses are delivered slower, giving your skin time to cool between zaps. These types of lasers also have a built-in cooling device to further protect your skin.
Nd:YAG lasers work a bit differently. The wavelengths from this type of laser go deeper into the skin. This process means the laser bypasses the melanin in your skin and goes straight to the hair follicles.
Both of these types of lasers are rather common these days, but it’s still a good idea to make sure the provider you choose uses them.
So, What’s the Secret to Painless Laser Hair Removal for Black Skin?
To be truthful, most patients find laser hair removal isn’t exactly pain free though it is tolerable. The sensation is a lot like that of a rubber band being snapped on the skin. Your provider will apply a topical numbing cream to minimize your discomfort. That being said, you do need to take the time to prepare for treatment.
What Is the Best Way to Prepare for Painless Laser Hair Removal?
LHR isn’t a treatment you should have spontaneously. The best way to prepare for the best painless laser hair removal for Black skin in Alexandria is to follow all instructions given to you by your provider. With that in mind, here are some steps you’ll likely be asked to take:
- Avoid products or medications that cause photosensitivity. You should stop these at least three days before your first LHR session. If you need to stop taking prescription medication, get the okay from your doctor first.
- Stop all hair removal methods but shaving. The lasers are attracted to melanin in the hair follicle. If you wax or pluck, you’re removing the hair root. If you bleach, you’re removing color. So, stop all hair removal methods except for shaving for two weeks prior to your treatment.
- Avoid certain aesthetic treatments beforehand. Botox, dermal fillers, chemical peels, and microdermabrasion should be avoided for 14 days prior to your first session.
- Stay out of the sun. This goes for all UV rays, so you need to avoid tanning beds too. Having any kind of sunburn makes your skin extremely sensitive and LHR uncomfortable. Always use a high-quality sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher, even on cloudy days.
- Go to your appointment with clean skin. This means no makeup if you’re having laser hair removal on your face. All treatment areas should be free of perfumes, lotions, oils, and creams.
Just a Quick Note About Laser Hair Removal Side Effects and Aftercare
It’s normal to experience some redness and swelling afterward. You might find hydrocortisone helps with inflammation.
Some of the steps you took to prepare will help you just as much after treatment. Again, follow the expert advice of your LHR specialist on how to care for your skin after your sessions. This is the safest way to achieve optimal results.
How Do I Find an Experienced Laser Hair Removal Specialist?
Your first step should be locating a provider who has experience with LHR on dark skin. Don’t be afraid to ask them how much experience they have. You should also ask to see before / after photos of their work.
Your next question should be about technology. They should have lasers onsite that are suitable for dark skin.
Take the time to read reviews too. Check the provider’s website for testimonials. Take a look at their social media pages and read comments. You might also want to check Google and Yelp reviews.
If you don’t know where to start your search, try asking people you trust. If you have friends or family members who have had LHR, it’s a good idea to ask them about their experiences and who they recommend.
Is Laser Hair Removal Expensive?
It’s a bit difficult to provide the cost without a consultation. How much you pay for any aesthetic treatment usually depends on several variables such as the areas you treat and the number of treatments you need as well as the skill and experience of your provider.
Trust Prolase Medispa for the Best Painless Laser Hair Removal for Black Skin in Alexandria!
Prolase Medispa is the top LHR provider in Northern Virginia. We successfully remove unwanted hair for all skin types. You can expect incredible results!
Why not meet with one of our laser hair removal experts to learn more? Contact us at 703-747-9443 to schedule your consultation today. Let’s begin your journey to beautifully smooth, hair-free skin!