If you are considering investing in a long-term hair reduction method, this is a great question to be asking: Can I exercise after laser hair removal (LHR)? This trendy laser treatment has only grown in popularity as it has become more available and more affordable!
Increasingly more people who want to rid themselves of unwanted body and / or facial hair choose it over short-term hair removal methods. But, questions often remain, so here’s what you need to know!
What Should I Expect After My Session? Can I Exercise After Laser Hair Removal?
Immediately after your laser hair removal session, you may experience some redness or sensitivity in the area that was treated. This is totally normal. Before you begin any strenuous physical activity, it is a good idea to let your skin rest and recover.
There are many factors that go into determining this, such as what area you had treated, your skin type and your personal preference, but 24 to 48 hours is a good amount of time to wait before you start physical activity.
Aftercare Is Pretty Simple Following LHR
Be sure to follow your provider’s instructions so your skin heals quickly. These instructions may include the following:
- Avoid excessive sweating. Sweat can irritate the skin and possibly lead to infections, so it is best to give your skin all the help it needs and stay away from the gym, hot yoga class, and the sauna for a day or two.
- Wear loose clothes. If you can avoid causing any friction in the treated area, you give your skin a better chance to recover quickly without the extra damage from tight clothes.
- Avoid the sun. Wear sun protection, and stay out of tanning beds until you’re fully healed by providing proper care for your skin after laser hair removal.
- Use skin-soothing products. Your provider will give you specific instructions on how to care for your skin, but using moisturizers and staying hydrated are excellent ways for your skin to stay healthy.
When You’re Ready to Exercise After LHR, Here’s What You Should Know
After your initial healing period, it makes sense that you want to get back to your exercise routine. You still have plenty of things to keep in mind regarding your skin.
The best thing you can do is talk with your provider about exercise after LHR prior to starting your sessions so you can work together to develop a plan that works for you.
Within 48 hours of LHR:
- Choose low-impact activities like walking, light jogging, or gentle yoga to minimize friction and sweating. These are excellent options for the initial period after your treatment.
- Avoid contact sports / activities that could cause the treated area to come into close contact with anything or anyone.
- Skip the swim, as chlorine or salt water could impact your healing process.
- Maintain proper hygiene by using gentle cleansers after exercise. You want to be sure you clear any treated areas of salt and bacteria. Pat the area dry, instead of rubbing.
Remember, everyone is different and will have different healing times and needs. Take the time to give your body and skin what it needs to look and feel its best, and follow the advice of your provider as far as timeline if it differs from the above.
Pitch the Razors or Cancel Your Wax Appointment It’s Time to Book Quick and Easy LHR From Our Laser Experts!
Call us today at 703-747-9443 to book a consultation and get in-depth answers to all your questions like, “Can I exercise after laser hair removal?” No question is too simple or too hard for our laser pros who have years of industry experience providing amazing results!
We offer aesthetic services aplenty, so ask about other skincare treatments to get your glow on when you contact us!